This is the recipe I learned from my first decorating class. It is a little different from anything else I could find on the internet, so I thought I would put it out there. Milk may be substituted for the water, but then it has to be refrigerated. This can theoretically sit out for quite a while.
- two cups solid vegetable shortening
- 2 lb bag confectioners sugar (8 cups)
- 1 Tbs vanilla flavoring (clear for true colors)
- 1 tsp butter and/or almond flavoring
- dash of salt
- extra liquid
1. Cream shortening until very smooth. Combine the flavorings in a measuring cup and add enough liquid (water or milk) until there is a total of 1/3 cup liquid.
2. Add salt and water, blending slowly.
3. Gradually add sugar using medium speed until thoroughly mixed. Blend an additional minute or so until creamy. AVOID OVERBEATING!
You want smooth, but not fluffy icing. If it is not too stiff, it will come off on your finger when touched. If it is not to thin, a spatula will stand up in it and it will stay divided when you run a spatula through it.