Memorial Day has finally arrived. Time for corn-on-the-cob and sunburns and festivals. As I relaxed with some long-awaited time off this weekend I wanted a project that was as bright and airy as the weather outside.
My front door has been empty since we put away the Christmas decorations (so for three whole months now) and I have been looking for a summery replacement. I finally found inspiration from another craft blogger via Pinterest and created something I am excited to put on my door.
It made a perfect weekend project. I worked on it intermittently over the past three days and finished in time to blog!
This is the paper I used. I found it at Michael’s and it wasn’t more than a few dollars. I believe the color I used was called Oatmeal. I actually ended up needing to run out to get another roll this morning to finish up, but it was really close.
If I had been better about not wasting the paper I might have been able to make one roll work.
I also bought this punch for the project. I suppose I might have used my cricut, but I thought this would be more efficient. And I will never pass up an excuse to buy a craft supply!
Since my paper came in a roll, I found it more manageable to cut it into 4 inch strips. I used a hem gauge to draw a straight line along which to cut.
I tried several methods for punching the circles. I ended up cutting two at a time. I tried folding the paper more times, but while I could cut multiple circles at once it also made it harder to work the paper into the punch. The single ply paper did not seem thick enough for the punch and ended up tearing.
I would estimate I used about 600 of the circles. I kept them in a deli container while I cut.
Since the paper was stiff, I decided to fold the circles into fourths pinching only the point so that the top maintains its fullness.
I secured the cones to the wreath form using a straight pin. I was careful not to align the ruffles in lines, but otherwise I used no technique. Just pick a spot and work around!
I really like the plain version, but wanted to punch it up a little. I needed to get some Cricut practice in!
I tried several different options from the Cricut, but the butterflies seemed to suit my mood the best. However, I added the butterflies on 18 gauge florist wire, so I could possibly change them out with my changing mood.
Since I couldn’t find my wire cutters, the husband came in handy for cutting the wire with tin snips and then bending the tips to make the hot-gluing easier.
A little dab of hot glue and I had a bevy of blue butterflies.